Think Global, Create Local


After so much winter I am back at the sunny Cape of Good Hopes. One of my first outings led me to my favourite art association. Rust en Vrede is the name of the historic Cape Dutch venue. What they do there is far from rest and peace. It is full of life and creativity.




The vernissage was all about ceramics. Internationally renowned land arist Strydom van der Merwe obliged and contributed a magic circle of small ceramic pieces in earthy colours. Many of the other objects were not less intriguing. The installation of Karin Lijnes was as simple as it was inventive and skillfull. She had put together a square of black and white bottles which she had first slip-cast and then painted. They looked like readymade plastic bottles, thus turning Marcel Duchamp's strategy upside down.

For my first sunny morning here I had chosen a sun coloured suit from Zara and a night blue top from Stefanel as dark blue as the Southern sky at a clear night. It turned out that two of my lady friends had had the same impulse to wear yellow on this first summer Sunday of the Southern hemisphere.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About

Finis Terrae

South African-French Christmas