Main-hattan Transfer by Five - Damengesellschaft

I spent my last Indian summer day at Frankfurt's newly refurbished Altstadt, the medieval town centre. The round square in front of the Römer, the 600 years old city hall and the surrounding timber-framed houses are restored to their former picturesque beauty.











From there it is a short walk to the river banks of the Main with their subtropical park on one side and the string of museums on the left bank.


© Städel Museum
At Frankfurt`s main art gallery, the Städel I had a surprise encounter with Lotte Laserstein. The Berlin based Jewish painter had one great subject, the new woman, the independant city girl of the twenties hatching out of the protective cocoon the Belle Epoque had kept her in. Lotte's bold portraits remindend me of another German born lady painter I greatly cherish, of Irma Stern from Cape Town (see post March 20, 2018).

I felt elated in the company of this Damengesellschaft / ladies gathering, a name the museum cleverly attributes to their circle of female supporters. 


As to my outfit I tried the formula Grey is the New Pink with a brand new grey jumpsuit from Mango and an electric blue vintage blazer.














Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About

Finis Terrae

South African-French Christmas