Hunters and Gatherers

Last winter a pack of wild boar came close to my neighbour’s house in search of food. The numbers of wild boar are growing fast as they are omnivore and have hardly any foe.  I have no objection that they are kept at bay by the local hunter’s association. 

I, myself am more a gatherer than a hunter. I gather the appropriate outfit for the après hunt so to speak where a delicious boar roast will be served. It can get quite cold out there in the woods. Long woollen stockings, gloves and a muff are not out of place. I use to carry the few things I need in my felt cartridge pouch which I will hardly ever put to its original use.

If you care for sitting in the wee hours on a perch to wait for game to pass by you cannot do without loden. This densely woven woollen cloth will keep you warm. The real stuff comes from Feller in Bavaria.

 I once was invited to a perch hidden in the woods for listening to the rutting cry of the deer. Although I had the privilege to be in the company of an official of the German hunting association the deer didn’t oblige. We had to wait for hours. Only heavy loden and thick padded wristbands can help apart from sipping a bit of schnapps every now and then to keep you warm from inside.

I like the label of the turtle neck sweater: Fashion Affairs. That’s what I have, an affair with fashion. The Scioux Grashopppers won’t do on a humid day in the woods, but there are also hunting parties on fine days.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About

Finis Terrae

South African-French Christmas