Taking the Veil - 1


Those who have read my posts My scarfs and me (June 30 and July 3) will know that I love playing with scarfs. Only once did I resent that I had to wear a scarf. Here you see me disguised as an Iranian woman. To tour this country from the Caspian Sea to the Persian Gulf and from the Western mountain range to the Eastern deserts I had to present myself at immigration with a head scarf with not a single hair peeking out. On the entire journey I had to cover my hair the moment I left my hotel room. An ample jacket reaching down to the lower part of my thighs, loose pants and long sleeves were de rigueur, as well. Most of the women are still wearing the burka.



In the beginning I refrained from putting on makeup until I found out that many women in Tehran and other large cities compensate for the scarf with almond eyes and beguiling red lips.

In Tehran colourful head scarfs are a fashion item. Boutiques in the up market Northern suburbs are displaying an incredible selection of scarfs. I bought a grey one with apple-green beads to remind me of my Iranian adventure.

It came handy at the teahouse of my host’s grandfather in a traditional village at the Caspian Sea.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About

Finis Terrae

South African-French Christmas