Zanzibar Memories


Ever since I had read Alfred Andersch's novella Sansibar, I longed for this magic island. Eventually I could travel to Zanzibar. I strolled along the ancient lanes of the Stone Town and peeped through heavy wooden gates into secret courtyards. Once in a restaurant I admired the delicate yellow chiffon sari of a lady at the next table. She introduced me to Memories of Zanzibar, her favourite shop.  The blouse I purchased in this treasure trove is made of the lightest silk and the dark blue checkers temper the gold. One has to bring home some glittering gold from the island were the Arab sultans reigned for a long time.                                                                                                                                          

The Stone Town is still a monument to their splendour. Once one had passed the heavy wooden doors there was opulence, laughter and music. The lady of the house showed off her most precious belongings in niches carved out of the thick walls in the womens' quarters.
© BeaBeste, Zanzibar Doors, pixabay
.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About

South African-French Christmas

Finis Terrae