Africa is Getting onto my Head

In a competition who invented the most
becoming headgear African women would
win undoubtedly. A head wrap is such a
fascinating accessory for style. You can
wear a scarf with any outfit from contemporary
to ethnic. There are hundreds of ways to wind
a simple scarf around your head making you look
like a queen.










I was lucky to have been shown some when I bought a scarf at a market in
Namibia. The turban seems to lengthen your head and to straighten your back. I would never dare to compare myself to those graceful African gazelles but I am aiming at it. 
©Yvonne Gloor, Namibia















Some inspiration how to wear a turban I got from Africanista. Look at their suggestions for tying a scarf:


©Africanista, Turban Tuesday, October 13, 2015


See how nicely an African head scarf is stretching the neck and how cheerful the three ladies in black are looking with their bright scarfs. The right one I met in a secret garden hidden in Cape Towns Constantia Valley. Shadia hails from Burundi from where her family fled to South Africa.  


                               © Alena Obukhova, 123RF                        


© sam74100 123RF
















I cannot but show you this newspaper clipping setting off beautiful models with head scarfs in shades of grey. They are exuding sheer elegance. I don't even remember where the clipping comes from, either from Mail & Guardian or from the Sunday Times my regular reads while in South Africa. I trust they don't mind. What I do remember is the romantic title of the label. Mille Collines is a pan-African brand which came into being in Kigali as a joint venture of a Spanish and a Rwandan designer. It spread to Kenya, Ghana and South Africa and took part in the Mercedes Benz Fashion Week South Africa. The turbans are from their minimalist 2016 collection Curio I City. The photographer is Aubrey Jonsson.


Photo: Aubrey Jonsson


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About

South African-French Christmas

Finis Terrae